Friday, July 1, 2011

Damn Kids and Their PDA

So I was walking down the escalator at work (because that's what you do, you walk. Refer to my "Fatties and Escalators" post for details) when I heard this unusual smacking. Not like someone taking their hand and smacking them across the face, but just a sweet kissing noise in rhythm. I looked up and down my escalator, but no one was there. In our store, the escalators are built next to each other so you can see the people going up as you descend downwards. Hmm, that seems redundant. Descending downwards. Oh, well, I'm leaving it because just stopping at "descend" sounds really awkward. Anyway. I looked over to my left to find an older gentleman (probably 55 judging by his greying hair and start at wrinkles) kissing his younger girlfriend/wife/hopefully-not-his-daughter. She had to be about 30 judging by her haircut and sleek body.

The two of them kissed their whole flight upstairs. The really sweet thing is that they were standing with her on the step above him, making them an equal height. Instead of just being on the same step and just turning to kiss, she was turned completely backwards smooching him. For some reason, that makes it even more sweet. They were so invested in their pecks on the lips. They never once looked down at the old woman scoffing at them or looked over to their left to see me oogling at them and smiling. It made me feel like it was true affection. It wasn't for show, fo' sho', but it was for spontaneity and love.

The old lady scoffing at the couple made me angry. What's wrong with kissing another person with your arms held around them in public? Since when is showing another human being affection wrong? I can understand PDA and how it can get really R-rated, but this was simple and sweet. It was fresh and genuine. It's most definitely wasn't disturbing anyone. I mean, it was only me and the old lady to gaze upon them. I'm trying to come up with other reasons the woman may have been perturbed but I can think of none. Jealousy? Lust for that kind of affection? Annoyance? I'm not sure.

The experience made me think of my own relationship. I'm not one for PDA. I hate kissing in public unless it's in a moment of privacy. I'll kiss his cheek when he says something cute or does something nice. We hold hands constantly. He puts his arm around me when we walk together. But never do we just kiss in public. Right on the ol' smacker. Maybe that should change. Not that I'm going to just make out with him any chance I get in front of a bunch of strangers, but maybe I should be a little more lenient with smooches and hugs. Why not? It's a way of showing emotions. It's intimate on an escalator with people on it. It's simple and old-fashioned, and I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment