Friday, September 2, 2011

Write it Down, I'll get Back to it Later.

I love the form my hand takes when it holds a pencil and writes. It's not a normal position compared to the standard. I rest my pencil tip on the ring finger instead of the middle finger which causes my pointer to rest on my thumb, baring it down on the pencil's staff. It's not the ideal position for writing over a long period of time, such as for writing notes. It causes a small bump on my ring finger right next to the bottom of my nail. It makes my skin there smooth and it even causes my nail to grow an indent because I write so much.

Writing with a pencil and paper feels primal and form-fitting to my hand. It's natural and deep-rooted into my biology. I love that writing is unique to each person both in form and content. Writing has been on stones and parchment and scrolls and just about anything that can be written on. It brings us together as an earth. We know what our history is because someone wrote it down. Call me old fashioned, but I love writing something down way more than typing it down. I like reading an actual book more than on a Kindle, but that's a whole other story.

With technology growing, I hope we never lose the artistry of writing our thoughts down on paper. Your handwriting, and habits, and the way you hold the pen/pencil, and the mistakes, and the white-out, and the eraser shavings...all of it make writing individualized. It's personal. I would much rather receive a handwritten love letter than a typed one. It's more romantic and thoughtful.

So readers, write something down on a post-it and share it with your loved one. Write them a love letter. Jot down all your little notes you have to remember throughout the day. Leave yourself notes of inspiration. Write it all down and save it so that the next generation knows a little bit about us other than we knew how to type.

1 comment:

  1. I love my handwriting, too! It really feels like "me", and I always kind of wish I had the patience to create a font for my handwriting! That's part of why I do so many things "analog"; drawing out charts for myself is just something I like doing by hand, even when it means writing everything in for an hour.

    ~Ashlee
    http://ashleesch.com
    http://theDragonsHoard.bigcartel.com

    ReplyDelete