Thursday, March 31, 2011

Fruitful Mornings

I've heard from a lot of people that they think best on the toilet or in the shower or right before they go to bed. Well, I think the best on my drives to and from work and school. When I'm at this intellectual high, I make up games for myself--don't worry I'm still highly concentrated on the roads and all that. 


Each morning that I wake up, I usually am by myself and don't see anyone while I'm getting ready. This means that besides singing in the shower, I normally don't utter a thing in the morning. As I'm driving to my job or to college, I don't allow myself to say anything until I sing lyrics of a song (normally on the radio, sometimes on my iPod) that I want to live out that particular day. 


This morning, I sang, "I'll buy you Rogaine, when you start losing all your hair," from the song "The Way I Am" by Ingrid Michaelson. To commemorate this song, I put together all my birthday gifts for people this month. Yesterday, I belted out, "It was a hot June day, and my ass was sticking to the seat of my girlfriend's car. Staten Island traffic in the summer, baby." It's a classic Bomb the Music Industry song called "Side Projects are Never Successful." It's about a number of things, but I let myself sing these lyrics yesterday because it was warmer outside and I was stuck in traffic on my way to work. 


I guess there are other games I play with myself. Maybe I do it just to keep life interesting, who knows? Maybe I'm just superstitious. When I walk in my bathroom, I shove the door shut, but I make myself turn on the the light before the door latches. It's been a little more difficult since we've gotten new doors, but I've only failed six times since I was a little girl and started doing it. If I'm going back up the stairs in the basement, I have to run up them and turn off the light without looking back. Apparently my subconscious thinks if I turn around, something from the darkness will be looking up at me. Let's face it, that's just creepy. 


Are there any games like this you all play to keep yourself entertained? Do you have any crazy, quirky superstitions? Comment if you'd like to share. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment