Monday, April 4, 2011

Drunk-Like Drivers

Sometimes I wish drivers were drunk just because it saddens me that they can be so stupid. What would possess someone to drive on the shoulder just to pass me then to drive 10 mph under the speed limit? You can't blame it on a cell phone because no one on a cell phone would give a crap if someone was driving the speed limit. You can't blame it on drunkenness because it was 4 PM and well, no one could have been to the bar that early on a Monday. No one else was in the car so you can't blame it on peer pressure. I wouldn't be complaining if it had been any of those things. Instead, this driver was possessed by one of three things: Meanness or carelessness or stupidity. Now that I think about it, perhaps all three. 


I continued at my speed after they got ahead of me. They thought I was tailgating them, when instead I just figured a person who wanted so badly to get ahead of me would want to stay ahead of me. Instead, this jerk slowed down to below the speed limit. What's worse is that they then proceeded to think I was too much on their tail so they actually slammed on their brake. Yes, I'm serious. I actually saw them get on their phone like they were calling the police and then got off on a dirt road like I was the antagonizer. 


I'm not mad about any of that. In fact, I think it's hilarious. I'm just mad that it was for no reason, out of the blue, on the fly. It angers me because I can't understand. I've had this same feeling in my gut before when customers leave a  whole rack of clothing on the floor or they yell at me for things I can't help like installing handicap accessible doors. It's strange, there's never been a point in my life when I thought I was a good driver or a good customer, but lately, if I compare myself to what I see, I really am. 


My biggest dream has always been to read minds. Getting answers to tests, pointing out sarcasm, seeing if I really look fat in those pants...but now I'm thinking I could use it for an even bigger purpose. Maybe I could finally understand the meaning of people's selfishness. It's not like I don't know we're all human. I do. I get it. It just seems too often to be accidental every single day. Some people really should get a life instead of pestering mine.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the guy was road raging at you, actually. Tearing in front of you then slowing down and brake-checking, they were probably doing it all intentionally. Not that it makes it any better, but it doesn't seem like the sort of thing a person would do from simple stupidity.

    ~Ashlee
    http://theDragonsHoard.bigcartel.com

    ReplyDelete