Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Nadia

A wonderful girl who taught me a lot about life left my job to spend time with her daughter. She's worked retail for four years, something I don't ever think I could do. The funny thing is that she was the best at it. Every customer would leave her register laughing. Not just smiling, laughing. Everyone she worked with had more compliments for her than Marilyn Monroe ever received.

English isn't her first language. Nadia is from Pakistan, and came to the United States in 2005. She's happily married with a beautiful 5 year-old daughter. When I first met her, I thought she was my age, but she told me it's in her mother's genes. She took an extended vacation while I knew her to India, I believe. I can't speak for everyone, but I missed her charm and wittiness the entire time she was gone.

Speaking to coworkers, I know that she didn't just affect my life. It was all of us. They all had great things to say about her, some only working with her for a few weeks. My favorite thing was teaching her American idioms and sayings. "You go, girl. Rock it! S.O.S! That's a nice rack. Let the cat out of the bag. Spill the beans." She taught me some words from her language, too.

I found out the night she left that she writes poetry! Not only that, but as I read samples of it, I realized she's very talented. It put me to shame because I've spoken English my entire life and I can't even write poetry.

When I met her, she didn't wear a headscarf like women in her family and religion do, but when she got back from her vacation she did. Everyone in our store kept staring at her or not noticing it was her. As a generalization, whether true or false, a lot of women wearing headscarves like to bargain down prices or beg for coupons at our store and it drives us crazy. There are negative connotations to wearing the headscarf whether you agree or disagree, they are there. So instead of being ignorant, I just plainly asked her about it. She told me it's an option, not mandatory. She feels more comfortable in it and that it just feels right. It's about not letting possessions and beauty cloud your inner beauty. It's also a sign of respect and that one should wear a headscarf when in the presence of a potential partner or elder. I asked her if she would ever wear a fancier, bejewelled one like the ones I see other women wearing but she told me they're expensive and pretty much defeat the point. I'm glad I asked her. I used to think it was demeaning, but she doesn't have to even wear it if she didn't want to.

Nadia will be sorely missed at our store. She made me laugh every day we worked together. She's genuinely curious about life and people and traditions. She loves hearing about my life just as I love hearing about hers. Our conversations were always fruitful and she will always have a place in my heart. Thank you for teaching me what a pure, honest person is like, Nadia. Keep in touch, always. :)

1 comment:

  1. Meeting wonderful people in unexpected places is awesome. Learning new things from them is almost better. I'm so glad you've had such great experiences with Nadia! :D

    ~Ashlee
    http://ashleesch.com
    http://theDragonsHoard.bigcartel.com

    ReplyDelete